Monday, December 21, 2009

I've always been told I was sweet.....

Now apparently that means both in personality and literally.  So my saga continues....I was diagnosed this morning with Type II Diabetes.  So what that means in terms of the baby is that as long as we get it under control, the baby should manage just fine.  The problem with Diabetes and pregnancy is the fact that my blood sugars cross the placenta, so the baby's pancreas thinks that the baby has high blood sugar and starts producing more insulin.  This is problematic because insulin in a baby can actually increase growth.  This is why you hear of women with Type II and Gestational Diabetes having larger babies.  After birth however the baby's blood sugar can actually drop and cause some issues.  So I think we should probably avoid all of that! 

I am all set up with a meter, which I will use to jab my finger 4 times a day (for now) and will probably end up on insulin before New Years.  Hopefully though once my blood sugars get to some sort of stable place, then alot of the other issues I have going on will rectify themselves.  My protein issues with my kidneys may be causing my high blood pressure and my diabetes may actually be perpetuating the protein issues.  Hopefully when I get the Diabetes under control, everything else will just fall into place.

My main goal is to make sure this baby bean, whom I love so much, has every opportunity to grow and thrive in a healthy environment, which is me.  For now that means dropping out a huge percentage of carbs out of my diet.  Sad I know, but you do whatever you need to for your children right?  In the meantime please keep me and the bean in your thoughts and prayers, we are going to be going through a lot of changes!

And since I will be eating lots more vegetables from the garden.....here's a peak at my other garden for the last few weeks!






No comments:

Post a Comment